Homelessness & the McKinney-Vento Act

  • Is your housing uncertain? Do you live at a temporary address? Are you living...
    • With relatives, friends, or others because you lost your housing, or because of economic hardship?
    • In a shelter?
    • In a motel or hotel because you have nowhere else to go?
    • In inadequate housing?  

    You have important school rights and protection under the McKinney-Vento Act. Children and your in temporary housing have the right to:
    • stay in the same school, including pre-k, and get free transportation even if it is across district lines;
    • immediately enroll in school without records (school records, medical records, vaccination records, proof of residency);
    • get special education services immediately if the student has a current Individualized Education Plan (IEP);
    • participate fully in school activities, including before- or after-school activities;
    • get support services and help with things like school supplies through Title I;
    • get free school meals without filling out an application;
    • get help enrolling in pre-k, Head Start, other preschool programs, and Early Intervention; and
    • get help applying for financial aid for college if the student is an unaccompanied youth. 
    Where can I get help?
    Every school district must have a McKinneyVento liaison to help students in temporary housing. 
    DISTRICT HOMELESS LIAISON:   Mrs. Jessica Emmerling Director of Special Education
    Contact  Information:
    Phone Number: (716) 891-6429
    Email Address: jemmerling@cheektowagasloan.org
    NOTE: All inquiries and designations will be confidential in nature.  
    The New York State Technical and Education Center for Homeless Students (NYS TEACHS) created a brochure with some helpful information for homeless students and their families. See below for a copy of this brochure. 
    CLICK HERE for the NYS TEACHS Brochure (English)
    CLICK HERE for the NYS TEACHS Brochure (Spanish)